Wednesday, October 29, 2008

RSS Feeds

This week I set up a bloglines account and added the following RSS feeds:

Powerhouse Museum, photo of the day (as instructed)
Christchurch City Libraries new fiction weekly listing ('cos I used to work there)
Australian Education (doing TAFE training and assessment course)
Christchurch Press local news (my home town)

I was running out of inspiration for my last two so selected from bloglines quick picks.
Publishers Weekly best sellers news
NYT books

What do I like about RSS feeds? Well, great way to keep informed and up to date if you are interested in a particular area or a long way from home!

Although I can see that they could become a time trap or a procrastination tool and I wouldn't want to subscribe to any more than say 10 RSS feeds at once. That's just me and I am a bit of a time freak.

I will be particularly interested to watch the Christchurch City Libraries feed (they have others but I just chose the new fiction listing) as this could be a good example of what libraries can achieve with RSS feeds. Similar maybe to a SDI service and could be broken down into genres or non-fiction subjects as well. Interesting....

No comments: